Thank you for visiting the Leader-Telegram. You’re entitled to view 7 free articles every 30 days and you currently have 7 remaining. Then, if you enjoy our site and want full access, we’ll ask you to purchase an affordable subscription.

Plea expected in Chippewa County murder case

Matthew Labrec is one of two men charged in killing of Kenneth Patterson

posted Jan. 11, 2017 12:23 a.m. | updated Jan. 11, 2017 12:24 a.m. (CDT)
email article print
font size - +
by / Chris Vetter. bio | email

CHIPPEWA FALLS — One of the men accused of shooting and killing 31-year-old Kenneth Patterson in the town of Eagle Point March 13 may enter a plea when he returns to court next month.

Matthew L. Labrec, 21, 50 E. Spruce St., Chippewa Falls, was charged in Chippewa County Court in July with first-degree intentional homicide, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison without parole.

Defense attorney Matthew Krische on Tuesday told Judge Steve Cray that the district attorney’s office has made a settlement offer to him.

“I think it’s likely we’ll have an agreement here,” Krische said.

Krische said he will discuss the offer with Labrec on Friday and go over the details of the proposed plea. Labrec is an inmate at the Columbia Correctional Institution in Portage for a conviction in a different case and was not at the hearing Tuesday.

Cray requested that Labrec be brought from the prison for the next hearing, which he set for Feb. 9. 

Labrec and 21-year-old Jesse R. Lloyd, previously of 235 W. Central St., Chippewa Falls, are both charged in Patterson’s death. Lloyd is in Waupun Correctional Institution for a conviction in a different case. Lloyd entered a not guilty plea at a hearing in December; he is due back in court March 1 in front of Judge James Isaacson.

The criminal complaint states Lloyd shot and killed Patterson on March 13. Patterson’s body was found the next morning by a passer-by near the intersection of 83rd Avenue and 162nd Street, northeast of Chippewa Falls. Patterson was shot once in the right leg, striking a vein and damaging the artery, causing him to die of blood loss. Authorities believe Lloyd and Labrec intended to rob Patterson.

Labrec told authorities in the days after the shooting that they both fired guns at Patterson, but Labrec’s .22-caliber long gun did not discharge; only the handgun used by Lloyd actually fired shots.

Contact: 715-723-0303,