Monday, September 17, 2018

Front Page

Trial of Chippewa Falls murder suspect rescheduled

» DA requests delay to refile part of case » Judge grants motion over defense attorney’s objections

  • Lloyd-Jesse-031716


    Contributed photo

CHIPPEWA FALLS — A trial for a Chippewa Falls man accused of shooting and killing a 31-year-old man in Eagle Point in March 2016 has been delayed about eight months.

The trial was to begin Jan. 23, but Chippewa County District Attorney Wade Newell requested the delay, allowing him to refile part of the case.

On Thursday, Judge James Isaacson allowed the case to be moved to Oct. 2, and it is expected to last up to eight days.

Defense attorney Aaron Nelson said he didn’t want to change the dates because he had cleared a month for the case — two weeks to prepare, then two weeks for the trial.

“We are ready to go to trial in January,” Nelson said.

Jesse R. Lloyd, 22, is accused of shooting and killing 31-year-old Kenneth Patterson in the town of Eagle Point on March 13, 2016. He is charged in Chippewa County Court with first-degree intentional homicide, armed robbery with use of force and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Lloyd and 22-year-old Matthew Labrec are accused of luring Patterson to the home, where he was killed. Labrec told authorities he also intended to shoot Patterson but his .22 caliber long gun malfunctioned and didn’t fire. Patterson apparently fled from Labrec and Lloyd.

Patterson’s body was found by a passer-by at 9 a.m. March 14 near the intersection of 83rd Avenue and 162nd Street, northeast of Chippewa Falls. Patterson was shot once, in the right leg, striking a vein and damaging the artery, causing him to die of blood loss.

Labrec was previously convicted and sentenced to 20 years in prison for his role in the murder. Nelson contends there is no proof that Lloyd committed a crime — just the statements made by Labrec to authorities.

Labrec and Lloyd were arrested within five days of Patterson’s body being discovered.

Police located bullets and a syringe in a toilet where Lloyd was staying in the days after the shooting, and those items were being tested for Lloyd’s DNA.

Several men who were accused of aiding and abetting Lloyd and Labrec in the days after the shooting have been convicted in the past year, and they are all required to testify on the state’s behalf at the trial.

In August 2016, Chippewa County Judge Roderick Cameron revoked Lloyd’s three-year imposed-and-stayed prison sentence, stemming from a 2014 conviction of manufacturing and delivering marijuana. Lloyd also has previously been convicted of possessing a controlled substance, resisting an officer, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of methamphetamine.

Lloyd remains incarcerated at Waupun Correctional Institution.

Contact: 715-723-0303,

Click to comment


© 2018 Leader-Telegram, Eau Claire, WI. All rights reserved.

To Top
Applying filter…