Thursday, September 20, 2018

Front Page

Case suspended in group home incident

Complaint: Man sexually assaulted resident, physically assaulted staffer

  • Pederson-Dustin-070618
  • Gavel-jpg-189

The criminal case for an Eau Claire man accused of sexually assaulting a resident of a group home and physically assaulting a female staff member will be suspended for up to a year.

Eau Claire County Judge John Manydeeds recently found Dustin H. Pederson, 23, not competent to stand trial.

Manydeeds made the ruling based on an examination of Pederson by Eau Claire psychologist Harlan Heinz.

Manydeeds committed Pederson to the state Department of Health Services. The agency was also ordered to administer medication to Pederson.

With appropriate medication and treatment, Manydeeds ruled, Pederson is likely to become competent within a year. 

Pederson, 2314 Cleveland St., is charged with felony counts of second- and third-degree sexual assault, intimidation of a witness, aggravated battery, false imprisonment and stalking; a misdemeanor count of lewd and lascivious behavior; and two misdemeanor counts of bail jumping.

According to the criminal complaint:

Police were sent to the Liberty View Group Home, 611 Main St., at 12:28 a.m. July 4 on a report of Pederson beating up a group home employee.

Officers later learned Pederson had engaged in a series of unwanted sexual behavior toward a female resident of the home and on this night sexually assaulted her.

The woman said she was in the bathroom when Pederson entered the room, exposed himself and had sexual contact with her.

The woman said she was scared and feared what Pederson was going to do with her.

The woman used a phone in the bathroom to call a female group home employee to tell her what happened.

Pederson then left the woman’s room.

The woman said Pederson also exposed himself to her two or three weeks earlier.

The female group home employee told police she was on the phone with the woman when Pederson entered her office.

Pederson shut the door, yelled at the employee and told her, “I’m not going to jail.”

Pederson then punched the employee in the face five times. He then stopped and quickly ran out the front door.

The employee’s face was covered in blood, which was running down the front of her shirt.

The employee’s left eye was swollen almost shut, and her nose was swollen and bloody. Two of her front teeth felt as though they shifted.

An officer found Pederson walking along Farwell Street at 2:20 a.m. He admitted to punching the employee and that he didn’t regret it.

Pederson said he regretted touching the woman in the bathroom.

Contact: 715-833-9207,

Click to comment


© 2018 Leader-Telegram, Eau Claire, WI. All rights reserved.

To Top
Applying filter…