BOYD — The village of Boyd was evacuated for a couple of hours Tuesday after a gas leak occurred at about 9 a.m. on the main street downtown.
“A village worker was digging and hit a one-and-a-quarter-inch pipe,” Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk said.
We Energies was called to fix the break, and the decision was made to evacuate everyone from town.
“We had a number of people over there and assisted in going door to door,” Kowalczyk said. “We eventually evacuated the entire village.”
Boyd has a population of about 550.
Both schools in the village were shut down and students taken to Stanley Elementary School. The leak was soon fixed and residents were allowed to return to their homes.
“We were very fortunate no one was injured,” Kowalczyk said.