Items missing in Senate tax plan
I am, for the first time, writing a letter to the editor of my local newspaper regarding the action by the U.S. Senate on Saturday morning, Dec. 2, at 1:36 a.m. to pass measure H.R. 1 (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act).
First, I would like to thank Sen. Bob Corker, Republican, Tenn., for showing true leadership, not only in this one vote, but also for the guts to express his sentiments and concerns on a number of topics that truly are on the minds of many Americans at this time in our country’s history.
Secondly, I would have much more preferred bipartisan consensus to work toward some legislation to address any one of the following areas that are greatly in need of Congress’s action:
• Working to reduce the federal deficit.
• Working to secure elections to not be influenced by either foreign parties or by U.S. money interests whose intent is to take away representation of the people, by the people, for the people.
• Ensure our youth are provided the very best educational opportunities.
• Working to secure our Social Security and Medicare programs for the benefit of all citizens into the next century.
• Addressing the opioid and other drug issues that appear to be plaguing every state and locality in our country.
• Work to start building up our country’s infrastructure in many different areas.
Finally, my response to this action by the U.S. Senate ...
Disgraceful, disgraceful, disgraceful, disgraceful, disgraceful, disgraceful.
Murphy worthy of judicial post
We are fortunate in Eau Claire County that we have had good candidates for our local offices. This year we have an exceptional candidate for circuit court judge that I feel will continue to serve us with common sense and knowledge of the law.
As an educator and concerned community member, I have known Shaughnessy Murphy and his family for many years. I trust his judgment in difficult matters that come before the judicial system. Judge Murphy has demonstrated his abilities to listen and obtain pertinent information as he deliberates on cases that are stressful and emotional for the parties involved. We all deserve that from our judicial system.
You will not be disappointed with your support of Judge Murphy. He has his roots here and understands our community. We have an opportunity to vote for exceptionalism.