Keeping up to date on the latest science behind brain imaging, brain stimulation, neurochemistry, and genetics can be challenging for even the most dedicated mental health professional. Get an explanation on the latest findings in basic and applied science that are driving research and leading to new treatments of the major mental disorders.
You will explore brain anatomy and function as revealed by functional MRI scans, current brain stimulation techniques such as transmagnetic stimulation and deep brain stimulation, the explosive field of epigenetics, and much more. No education degree required to attend, only an interest in the science behind the human mind.
What will be discussed:
· Genetic markers for the etiology for some of the most puzzling disorders and potential for innovative treatments.
· Identify a few fundamentals of neuroanatomy relevant for mental health practitioners.
· Summarize the limitations of imaging the brain, particularly fMRI.
· Appraise new technologies in brain stimulation.
· Examine the evidence that the brain actively creates the world we perceive.