UW-Extension continue to offer a number of meetings across the state for farmers interested in learning about the new Dairy Revenue Protection program, a new federal insurance tool, with a quarterly payout to dairy farms when milk revenue falls below their insured revenue level.
Mark Stephenson Director of the UW-Center for Dairy Profitability will provide a comprehensive overview of the Dairy Revenue Protection program and updates to the FSA Dairy Margin Protection Program, as another tool for dairy farmers when milk prices are low. Important changes to the MPP have been introduced in the Farm Bill that may make this program worth a second look.
The discussion will cover the following specific information for dairy farmers considering the program: New Dairy Revenue Protection program structure and function; an overview of dairy programs RP, MPP and Livestock Gross Margins; FSA implementation; expected returns; and decision making tools and calculations
Registration is recommended for meeting materials. The following UW-Extension meetings on the Dairy Revenue Protection program are available by date and location. For registration, more information and questions, contact the UW-Extension office by meeting location.
Upcoming program dates and locations:
• Feb. 13, 10 a.m., Belvedere Supper Club, 329 Highway 97, Marshfield. Contact: Matt Lippert, Wood County UW-Extension, 715-421-8440.
• Feb. 13, 1 p.m., Lincoln County Service Center, Assembly Room in the Upper Level, 801 North Sales St., Merrill. Contact: Dan Marzu, Lincoln County UW-Extension, 715-539-1072.
• March 5, 10 a.m., Green Lake County UW-Extension, 571 County Road A, Green Lake. Contact: Ben Jenkins, Green Lake County UW-Extension, 920-294-4032.
• March 11, 10 a.m., Black River Falls, Jackson County UW-Extension office, 227 S. 11th St., Black River Falls. Contact: Jaime Pfaff, Jackson County UW-Extension, 715-284-4257.
• March 11, 1 p.m., Blair Community Center, 103 E Broadway St., Blair. Contact: Steve Okonek, Trempealeau County UW-Extension, 715-538-2311, ext. 376.
• March 20, 10 a.m., Brillion Community Center Street, Brillion. Contact: Amber O’Brien, Calumet County UW-Extension, 920-849-1450.