Entries are being accepted for the 15th Rockonsin, a statewide youth garage-band competition.
The contest showcases state seventh- through 12th-grade bands of all musical genres and isis the only program of its kind in the nation.
Rockonsin, presented by the Nicholas Family Foundation, will invite 12 statewide Wisconsin high school/middle school garage-bands to perform and compete at Summerfest, billed as the world’s largest music festival. The performances and competition will be conducted from noon to 2:30 p.m. June 27 and 28 on the Johnson Controls World Sound Stage.
The winner and runner-up will each receive a second 45-minute Summerfest showcase gig and studio recording time at Madison’s Blast House Studios.
The band application period closes on April 30; bands can sign up at rockonsin.org.
Key Rockonsin features include:
• There are no registration fees or any associated costs to participate.
Bands must be formed outside the school music program. All band members must be enrolled in a Wisconsin public, private, virtual, charter or home school during the 2018/2019 school year.
• Musicians applying do not have to be enrolled in a traditional school music program, and the band must consist of two or more musicians; one member of the band must be a vocalist.
• Each band will be asked to submit one video (bands should not incur the expense of professionally videotaping their song — using a smartphone or a hand held video camera will do the trick) of the band performing either one cover or original song and submitting a link to that video, in addition to filling out their band application at rockonsin.org. Bands should video close enough so that one can see the band members actually playing or singing; and include the songwriting credit and lyrics.
The one song video application will be reviewed by a panel of music industry professionals and bands will be notified by May 15th if they have been selected to perform at Summerfest.
• The winning band and the runner-up will each receive a second 45 minute showcase gig at Summerfest on the Briggs and Stratton Big Backyard Stage (date and times to be announced) and the professional recording session time will be 12 hours for the winner and eight hours for the runner-up).
• Each of the 12 bands selected to perform at Summerfest will receive two Shure microphones (one vocal and one instrument mic each with cords) per band. The winning band will also receive from Shure the prize of a wireless vocal microphone.
ROCKONSIN, which is brought to you by the Nicholas Family Foundation, is made possible with the support of sponsor partners that have a passion for providing opportunities to recognize and showcase the talents of these young bands. Supporting partners include MAMA (Madison Area Music Association), Nicholas Family Foundation, XCEL Energy, Knupp, Watson & Wallman (KW2), Sherwood Press, Tilt Media, Shure, I94 FM, WAXX 104.5, 92.9 The X, Greatest Hits 98.1, JAMZ 95.9 and Summerfest. This program is produced by Dennis Graham Associates which founded the program.