DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL: Online registration for the fifth annual Half Moon Dragon Boat Festival in Eau Claire begins Friday:
• Register at halfmoondragonboat.org.
• All teams are encouraged to fundraise in support of this event. Fundraising tools will be provided.
• Top fundraising teams will receive awards.
The Saturday, Aug. 3, event will support local cancer programs and services, celebrate cancer survivors and honor memories of those lost to cancer, and raise awareness about cancer prevention and education.
Dragon boat teams will race along a 250-meter course on Half Moon Lake. Each long, sleek boat is propelled by a crew of 20 paddlers, a drummer and a steersperson. Dragon boating is for people 14 and older and all fitness levels. Corporate and community teams are invited to participate in the festival.
The event is a joint partnership between Mayo Clinic Health System and Hope in the Valley — a Chippewa Valley-based nonprofit cancer advocacy organization.
For more information about registration or sponsorships, call Renelle Laffe at 715-864-9500.
• • •
MARCH PROGRAMS: The Healing Place, a free service of HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital that helps anyone who has experienced a loss and is in need of spiritual and emotional support, is offering the following programs and sessions in March.
All sessions are free and will take place at The Healing Place, 2125 Heights Drive, Eau Claire, unless otherwise noted. For more information, call 715-717-6028.
• 6:30 p.m. Mondays, March 4 and 18, parent grief support group.
• 5 p.m. Tuesdays, March 5, 12, 19 and 26, Tuesday evening meditation group.
• 10 a.m. Wednesdays, March 6, 13, 20 and 27, Wednesday morning meditation group.
• 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, March 7 and 21, suicide survivor’s group.
• 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, sound meditation/Tibetan singing bowls with Mary Jackelen.
• 11 a.m. Thursday, March 21, “Dog Days,” part of The Healing Place’s Movies With a Message series, at Micon Downtown Cinema, 315 S. Barstow St. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
• 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 28, Stepping Stones Through Grief, ongoing grief support group for anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one.
• 6 p.m. Thursday, March 28, suicide survivor workshop, an evening of support and education for those who have lost a loved one to suicide. Call 715-717-6028 to register by Monday, March 25.
From staff reports