‘MEDIA ON THE BRAIN’: There is a slow-motion nuclear-scale spiritual catastrophe happening in homes across America — distracted and stressed out parents, kids glued to screens, men and women trapped in pornographic addictions and more.
Author, speaker and teacher Scott Ritsema of Belt of Truth Ministries will present “Media on the Brain” on Saturday, March 9 at Seventh-day Adventist Church, 919 10th St. W., Altoona, offering his research and practical solutions.
The schedule for the day will be:
• 11 a.m., “Transformed by the Renewing of Our Minds,” followed by lunch.
• 2:15 p.m., “Conformed to the Counterfeit Reality.”
• 4:30 p.m., “Captivated,” a documentary film.
• 5:30 p.m., supper.
• 6:10 p.m., “How to Escape the Pleasure Trap.”
• 7:15 p.m., DVDs available.
People are invited to attend for the whole day, including staying for lunch and a light supper, or come when they can.
• • •
BIBLE STUDY: People are invited join a six-week Bible study on “Six of the Greatest Chapters of the Bible,” at 6:30 p.m. Sundays, March 10 to April 14, at Messiah Lutheran Church, 2015. N. Hastings Way.
Have you ever read the Bible only to get lost or confused? Have you ever wondered what the Christian faith is all about? Have you ever pondered what comes after death?
The study will focus on Psalm 51, Isaiah 53, Luke 24, John 6, Romans 8 and I Corinthians 15 and will answer these questions and more.
For more information, call the Rev. Paul Tiefel at 715-829-2000.
• • •
LENTEN SERIES: The Change Reaction Lenten Series runs from Wednesdays, March 13 to April 10, at English Lutheran Church of Bateman, 20588 Highway X, Chippewa Falls.
The public is invited to join the congregation for these informative and perhaps challenging topics as our final days are explored. The series runs in conjunction with the church’s soup suppers and mid-week Lenten services, with supper at 5:15 p.m., series discussion at 6 p.m. and Lenten service at 7 p.m. The topics and speakers for the series will be:
• March 13: “It’s All About Death — and Life,” Karen and Jack Rokser.
• March 20: “Estate Planning,” Paul Murry, financial advisor, Edward Jones.
• March 27: “Hospice, Palliative Care and Bereavement,” Cindy Bednar, Mayo Clinic Home Health and Hospice, and Jennifer Larson Larue, Mayo Clinic bereavement services.
• April 3: “How Funeral Planners Can Help You,” Stacy Pickerign, Pederson-Volker Funeral Chapel & Cremation Services.
• April 10: “The Spirituality of Dying, Funeral Services,” the Rev. Rick Biedermann.
From staff reports