A 39-year-old Eau Claire man is facing criminal charges after calling the Eau Claire City-County Communications Center to report he had a knife and was thinking about robbing a convenience store.

Craig E. Linscott, 1055 Imperial Circle, No. 7, was charged this week in Eau Claire County Court with misdemeanor counts of obstructing an officer, disorderly conduct and carrying a concealed weapon. He is being charged as a repeat offender.

At his initial court appearance, Eau Claire County Judge Sarah Harless ordered a $1,000 signature bond. As conditions of bond, Linscott can’t use or possess any weapons. He, however, can use kitchen knives in the kitchen only.

According to the criminal complaint:

On Saturday, Eau Claire police officers were sent to Kwik Trip, 1130 W. MacArthur Ave., on a check person case after the Communications Center received a call at 12:05 a.m.

During the call, the caller was difficult to hear, and the call eventually was disconnected. A dispatcher was able to reach the caller again, and he said he was OK, didn’t need anything and was going to walk home.

An officer arrived at the convenience store about about 12:10 a.m. As he was walking toward the front entrance of the sore, he saw a man peer around the southeast corner of the building.

The officer approached the man and asked him how he was doing. Instead of answering the officer, the man just stared blankly. The officer asked the man if he had just call dispatch, and the man nodded affirmatively.

The man, later identified as Linscott, began placing his hands inside his pockets, prompting the officer to tell him multiple times to keep his hands out of his pockets.

Linscott didn’t listen to the officer’s commands, so the officer drew his gun for safety. He then saw a handle tucked inside Linscott’s pants, and it resembled a handle of a large knife.

The officer said Linscott grabbed the handle of the knife and attempted to pull the weapon out multiple times.

Another officer arrived and approached Linscott, who was still attempting to pull the knife out of his pocket and disobeying police commands. The officer deployed a Taser, and its darts stuck to Linscott’s clothing and made him jolt but didn’t create the full effect.

The jolt made Linscott quickly pull out the knife, which flew out of his hands onto the ground in front of him.

A third officer approached and deployed a Taser at Linscott, who was continuing to disobey commands. The second deployment jolted Linscott, but it, too, didn’t have the full effect. However, an officer was able to kick the knife away from Linscott’s reach.

A fourth officer arrived and deployed “pepper spray,” and after a few seconds, Linscott began to follow officers’ directions, got down on his knees and stomach and spread his hands out wide. He was then placed in handcuffs.

When an officer asked Linscott what he was trying to do that night, Linscott confirmed he was trying to have officers shoot him. He further stated he had been hearing voices in his head for over a year and couldn’t take it any longer.

The fixed-blade knife Linscott had possessed had an overall length of 15 inches and a blade length of 9½ inches.

Contact: 715-830-5838, christena.obrien@ecpc.com, @CTOBrien on Twitter