The 23-year-old man shot Tuesday afternoon by Eau Claire County sheriff’s deputies after a high-speed chase that started in Dunn County has been identified as Reese A. Diesterhaft.

Diesterhaft was taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He is in custody for a parole violation from South Dakota and a warrant from Dunn County, Eau Claire County Sheriff Ron Cramer said Wednesday.

Diesterhaft was charged in June 2012 in Dunn County Court with two misdemeanor counts of theft and a misdemeanor count of contributing to the delinquency of a child. A warrant was issued for his arrest in August 2012 after he failed to appear in court.

Additional criminal charges are likely in both Eau Claire and Dunn counties, Cramer said.

The names of the deputies involved in the shooting will be released next week after their interviews are completed by outside agency investigators. They are on administrative leave during the investigation being conducted by the Eau Claire and Menomonie police departments, Cramer said.

State law requires an outside agency to investigate an officer-involved shooting.

The sheriff said he has confidence in the decision-making actions and professionalism of the involved deputies.

“We further believe the independent review will yield the same results,” Cramer said.

The results of the independent review will be forwarded to Eau Claire County District Attorney Gary King for his review, Cramer said.

According to statements from both the Dunn and Eau Claire County sheriff’s offices, following is what transpired on Tuesday:

The Dunn County sheriff’s office received a report at 1:14 p.m. of a male harassing a female in the town of Rock Creek.

Deputies spoke to the female and a deputy made contact with Diesterhaft a short time later in Caryville.

While the deputy was checking state and national records on his background, Diesterhaft abruptly left the scene in his vehicle at a high rate of speed.

An initial report indicated Diesterhaft was released from prison about three weeks ago.

While the pursuit on Highway 85 was near the Eau Claire-Dunn County line, a deputy saw Diesterhaft pull a long gun into the front seat.

Deputies backed off and waited for other officers to assist. They lost sight of the vehicle on a town road in Eau Claire County.

Eau Claire County Sheriff’s deputies were called in to assist and Wisconsin State Patrol aircraft was used for an aerial search.

Diesterhaft’s vehicle was seen approaching near Jene and Spehle roads in the town of Brunswick. 

After Diesterhaft backed his vehicle down Spehle Road for a distance, Diesterhaft got out of the vehicle and confronted deputies with a weapon.

Two Eau Claire County deputies fired at Diesterhaft, striking him and ending the threat.

Contact: 715-833-9207,