Nursing home ceiling collapses

A wing of a nursing home in Barron had to be evacuated Monday evening after a section of ceiling collapsed in a dining room.

The incident occurred at about 5:40 p.m. at Monroe Manor and was caused by a broken sprinkler line, said investigator Nathan Emmons of the Barron Police Department.

The broken line flooded part of the building and forced officials to evacuate residents from the western wing of the building to the eastern side.

"Fortunately, nobody was hurt," Emmons said.

Residents eating under the section of ceiling that collapsed already had left the dining room, although some residents were still in the room at the time of the incident, he said.

It has yet to be determined if weather played a role in the pipe breaking, Emmons added.